A new, full-time internship for six months in our Kampala office in Uganda. Be part of a dynamic organisation committed to ending poverty.
- Location:Kampala, Uganda
- Salary scale:1,300,000 UGX per month
- Closing date:30 November 2021
- First interview:Mid-Dec 2021
- Start date:January 2022
About the role
We have an exciting opportunity for a developer to come and intern with our Data Systems team. We have three developers in Kampala who are responsible for developing and maintaining the DI and Global Nutrition Report websites and maintaining DI’s internal database tool.
We have a small team of experienced developers to learn from and as a team, we adhere carefully to best practices and ensure quality in our work. We value learning and self-improvement, so being part of the DI team will inevitably give you a chance to grow as an independent developer.
DI will make sure that you have a mentor to support you to learn more about professional web development processes. You will have a chance to improve your coding, learn more about being part of a development team running multiple applications and how to work with external designers.
- Participate in all stages of the development life cycle, from concept planning to build, testing and delivery.
- Pick up issues from sprint Kanban boards, write code and submit it for review.
- Work on feedback on your submitted code, find solutions online and ask for support when required.
- Actively learn and improve your proficiency in programming languages or frameworks used by the team until you become a confident all-rounder.
- Maintain existing websites and applications including fixing technical issues and bugs.
- Work closely with our team of data analysts in both Bristol and East Africa to continue to develop the DDW as a core part of DI’s infrastructure.
You will need strong attention to detail and a willingness to learn from others within the team as well as to seek your own learning.
Though our Kampala team are mainly working from home at the moment we like to meet face to face once a month if possible and our office is open for those that want to do some time in the office.
If you would like to contribute to increasing the impact of a dynamic organisation committed to ending poverty, we would love to hear from you. Please download and read the full recruitment pack and apply with your CV and cover letter via our online portal.
Applications close on 30 November 2021, and interviews will be held mid-December 2021 with an aim to have the position start by mid-Jan.