Date 30 November 2016
Time 14.30–15.30 pm (EAT)
Location Impala/Turkana rooms, Kenyatta International Convention Centre (KICC), Nairobi, Kenya
Co-hosts Development Initiatives, Oxfam International, UK Aid Network
- Klaus Rudischhauser, Deputy Director General, Directorate-General for International Cooperation and Development, European Commission
- Dr Fanwell K. Bokosi, Executive Director, Afrodad
- Mr Roland G. Tungpalan, Deputy Director General (Undersecretary) for Investment Programming of the National Economic and Development Authority (NEDA), Philippines
- Suresh Samuel, Managing Director for Africa, OPIC
Moderator Harpinder Collacott, Executive Director, Development Initiatives
Background briefing Available for download here
Post-event summary Available for download here
About this event
Financing the ambitious 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development will be a huge undertaking, with a funding gap estimated at US$1.9–3.1 trillion each year between now and 2030. Blended finance – using development cooperation to de-risk, crowd-in or ‘leverage’ private investments in development – has been presented by some as having the potential to help fill this funding gap. Yet challenges exist in delivering blended finance in line with development effectiveness principles, and evidence allowing stakeholders to understand the opportunities and risks involved is limited.
This panel discussion between providers of blended finance and key stakeholders and experts from civil society and partner countries aims to explore blended finance partnerships, deepen understanding of opportunities and challenges for development effectiveness and, where possible, identify solutions.
Expected outcomes include commitments enhancing the effectiveness of blended finance under the auspices of the GPEDC; creation of a community of stakeholders driving behaviour change and monitoring progress; and participants’ increased awareness of the contributions, risks and challenges blending may have for the financing and delivery of Agenda 2030.
- Julie Seghers, Delegation Coordinator for event: firstname.lastname@example.org